Saturday, February 18, 2012

More Couples Are Sleeping Apart. They Don't Need to!

Myles Black, Surgeon at The Private Clinic of Harley Street, writes at The Huffington Post that more and more couples are sleeping apart because of snoring and fidgeting and flopping and sighing and talking. Bev and I sleep together, however I accuse her of stealing covers on a cold night when Ralph the Golden Retriever jumps up on the bed. Once in awhile we might say to the other, "Honey, you are snoring!" Myles Black has some sleep recommendations for kicking the snoring habit:
  • Avoid alcohol
  • Stay on your side, not on your back
  • Identify and understand the root cause of your snoring
  • Investigate permanent solutions
  • And
  • Change your bedding at least once a week, and hoover regularly: it might sound odd, but it can make a real difference. Dust and other tiny particles in the air can lead to irritation in the nasal passage. As a natural reaction, the body creates more mucus to block the nose, and this leads to you sleeping with your mouth open, so exacerbating a snoring problem. Fresh sheets and a bit of dusting can work wonders for keeping your nose clear, your mouth shut, and your partner asleep. I also recommend buying the cheapest pillows you can find and disposing and replacing them regularly - around every three months or so.
Here's where I part company with Myles Black. I just tried Claus Pummer's Delta high pillow made by Samina and my sleep has been excellent. Key advantages include construction, size, use of natural materials and the variety of fillings ranging from virgin sheep’s wool to spelt and millet and even stone pine shavings. The Delta pillow is all natural cotton with a highly elastic natural rubber core, adapted to the neck-head line, orthopedically effective. It prevents positional strain in the neck and it's ideal for people who sleep on their side.




The Delta pillow retails for $350, but unlike cheap pillows that you throw away every three months, it doesn't compress and force me to sleep with my arm under my pillow for the proper height to support my neck. In addition, my Delta pillow doesn't harbor dust mites. Dust mites like the moisture that gets trapped in pillows and they thrive in the moisture causing us to wake all stuffed up. The Delta pillow exhales the moisture into the air and I wake up breathing normally.

Next, I'll buy a pillow for Bev. I can't wait to change the mattress for the whole sleep-healthy system from Samina.

No comments: