Wednesday, October 04, 2006

Top Designers of 2005: Interview with Donya Wiland

Resuming our interviews of Top Designers for 2005, we are pleased to speak with Donya Wiland / Twilight Design. You know it is going to be an interesting interview when your subject arrives in a white 52 MG TD. Donya’s hair is in a kerchief like you would see on one of those bikers we saw traveling through Yellowstone in August. She’s the type of woman who could wield a wrench one day and belly dance, her hobby, the next day after a manicure.

LF+DG: Donya, thank you so much for making time to answer some questions about your design practice. Tell us something about your background and what are your credentials?
Wiland: You know, I just felt that I had a knack for interior design, but I needed training, so over six years ago I went to the Heritage School of Interior Design and graduated with an ICD.

LF+DG: You are one of the savviest marketers of your services? Tell us about how you get clients.
Wiland: The best sources of new clients are referrals. I also teach seminars at the Home & Garden Show twice a year. Topics include:
# Seven steps to interior design. Before you start spending money and the science behind it.
# Quality vs Price
# Proportion and Scale
# How designers work
# Where do you start, how to implement a design and how to finish.

I believe every one can use a designer to save time and money. My motto is: “Maximize the outcome, minimize the investment.”

LF+DG: Who or what has been an influence in your design?
Wiland: Communication is important with clients, especially when a couple have different views. I use the same communication style as Michael Payne the host of Designing for the Sexes. We share the same skills. He’s a nice guy.

LF+DG: How do you define good design?
Wiland: It’s not what you spend. It’s how you spend it

LF+DG: If I were to hire you to decorate my home, would people who visit say, "Ah, this is a Donya Wiland home?"
Wiland: No, it’s my job to pull together the look the client wants.

LF+DG: Do you come up with a presentation board?
Wiland: After the free consultation, I do a complete design book, which includes the client concept, design suggestions, color palette, color shopping card, floor plan with measurements, paint map and helpful hints.

LF+DG: How do you charge for your services?
Wiland: After the free consultation, my fee is $95 per hour. I pass on any designer discounts to my clients and will go shopping with them. Shopping is a sport for me. I love to win for my client. I believe one should never pay retail!

LF+DG: What other creative things do you do?
Wiland: I am involved in Yoga for fitness and I meet in a Mid-Eastern restaurant to belly dance with a dance troupe. I love to travel and I love cars. I am currently helping my husband Craig restore a 1957 Chevrolet Nomad. And, and, I watch Storm Large compete in Rock Star: Supernova.

LF+DG: Were you disappointed that she lost and Lukas won?
Wiland: No, I rooted for Storm, but Lukas will fit right in with Supernova. Remember, Craig and I and you and Mike have a date to see Storm perform next time she's in Portland!

LF+DG: Donya, where can people reach you?
Wiland: Bev, they can reach me at

Donya Wiland / Twilight Design
Visit my web site: www.donyatwdesign.com
or
Email me at: msmgdiva@yahoo.com
or
Call me at 480-247-2513

Bev & Mike
Landfair Furniture + Design Gallery




1 comment:

Cheryl's Office said...

Make sure your data center furniture fits your budget. The new server racks and data cabinets on the market these days are very inexpensive. There are many places to buy online. I found the quality and value of the network support furniture you can get to be above my expectations. Make sure you ask about the quality before you buy. Check out the data server racks if you get the opportunity.