Saturday, April 08, 2006

"Know Your Client" Professional Paper from ASID

It's Saturday, April 8th. It's a quiet morning, so I thought I would pass on some information I received from ASID.
How many times have you thought, "if only I could get inside my client's head so that I could do a better job," or for that matter, get the job!
There are some new professional papers available to members of ASID, for free, and priced at $15 to $25 apiece, for non-members. One paper that caught my eye was entitled Know Your Client: Fundamentals for Effective Relationships< (non-members $15 plus $1.50 for shipping). I downloaded the PDF and want to share some tidbits with you.
The paper is based on a series of studies beginning in 1996. Each study asked interior designers what they believe clients value in working with a designer and then asked clients the same questions. The results show where interior designers and clients are "in sync" and "out of sync" as well as where values change over time.
Here are a few of the things that stood out for me:

Clients and designers agreed that knowing the client was very important as was consults, doesn't impose interior designers taste on the client, Where they differed was emphasis on knowing the latest design trends. Clients were less concerned about this aspect.

Another difference between clients and designers is emphasis. Both placed the same emphasis on handling the ordering and using the interior designer as a resource. The client was less interested in how it gets done.

This last one surprised me. Both client and interior designer were equally concerned that the interior designer was qualified, but the client was less interested in the designers portfolio of prior work. I think that goes back to the client wanting to feel unique and understood and having their needs met.

I have barely scratched the surface of the paper. I invite you to download the paper or purchase it from ASID.

Call (202)546-3480 or email communications@asid.org

Bev & Mike
Landfair Furniture + Design Gallery

No comments: